In The Cottages:
Our warm and cosy cottages are a great place to snuggle down and relax at any time of year.
- A wide range of books, games & jigsaws
- Freeview Digital TV, DVD player
- Radio/CD player
- Free WiFi Internet
At East Briscoe:
The estate is a fantastic place to explore. Each cottage has it’s own patio area which leads to the large, safe lawn. A separate field is home to the children’s play area and the wider estate has woods, a river and a waterfall to explore. Abundant wildlife and wildflowers provide extra interest.
- Lots of things to do in the Pool-house!
- Children love the playground, trampoline, and sandpit
- Everyone can enjoy lawn games (swingball, boules, french cricket, etc)
- Look out for our fantastic bluebells in the woods around mid-May. It’s worth a stay just to see them.
- There are beautiful but steep walks down to the river and to our own waterfall. A gentler walk takes you through the hay meadow round the top of the woodland.
- There is trout fishing on our stretch of the River Balder – can you catch a wily brown trout?
- Wildlife spotting/watching; a multitude of common and rare bird species, deer, otters, hedgehogs, crayfish have all been seen at East Briscoe.
- Feed the hens, then collect their very free range eggs. Have a freshly laid egg for your breakfast – they’re delicious!
- Bobby and Eugene are donkeys which visit for their summer holidays. They enjoy an apple or carrot and a pat on the neck.
- Gaze at the stars. East Briscoe has exceptionally dark skies which are at their best between October and March. Can you spot a shooting star? The best time is during a meteor shower. Check out when they are due here.
Within A Couple Of Miles:
- Teesdale is perfect walking country with rolling hills and peaceful footpaths. Hury, Blackton & Balderhead reservoirs are great for fishing and walking while Teesdale Railway Path is also close by.
- There are numerous other walks straight from the door – see Ordnance Survey map 92 Barnard Castle and Richmond. Each cottage has a file with local walks leaflets in too. Chris has posted some of his favourite routes on the Run Walk Bike page
- Cotherstone village is 2.5 miles from East Briscoe. The Fox and Hounds pub does excellent food and beer and the Red Lion is also a great real ale pub. Here, you can pick up the Teesdale Way. There is an exceptional village playpark down a footpath off the Moor Road.
- There are a number of Dark Skies Discovery Sites in Teesdale including one at Balderhead Reservoir.
Within Thirty Minutes Drive:
- See this website with some of the highlights of the wider Teesdale area.
- The picturesque market town of Barnard Castle is about 15mins drive from East Briscoe. The bustling market town has excellent local shops and a varied selection of arts and antique shops. There are walks along the River Tees from the town.
- Medieval Barnard Castle run by English Heritage with audio tours
- The Witham in Barnard Castle is a newly refurbished community arts centre, with art gallery, cinema, theatre, music, comedy and cafe.
- The Bowes Museum was created in the late 19th century to house a collection of fine and decorative arts.
- Teesdale Leisure Centre has swimming, gym, racquet sports, Jolly Jungle, etc.
- High Force waterfall in Upper Teesdale is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in England. Close by is Bowlees Visitor Centre with walks to Summerhill Force and Gibson’s Cave and Low Force Waterfall.
- Eggleston Hall Gardens is a superb garden centre/nursery. There is also a tea room and gift shop on site.
- Raby Castle is one of the largest and most impressive of English medieval castles which boasts an attractive garden, tea room and interesting castle tour. There are herds of deer in the castle grounds. Open Easter and May – September.
- Raby Castle grounds now houses The Plotters’ Forest:“A thrilling mix of challenge, discovery and intrigue for all ages. The perfect place to reap the many benefits of playing in nature for children.”
- Go for a 4×4 adventure with Deepdale Off Road, just outside Barnard Castle
- If you like a spa experience try the beautiful The Morritt Garage Spa
- Get outside in Hamsterley Forest. There are superb mountain bike trails for all abilities, from absolute beginner to advanced. Try your hand at Geocaching, take a walk or follow the Gruffalo trail. Cafe is open at weekends all year round. Daily, April-September.