The Explore Teesdale website contains useful information including an events calendar to help you plan your visit http://www.exploreteesdale.uk/
DIRECTIONS TO THE COTTAGES
East Briscoe is approximately half way between Barnard Castle and Middleton-in-Teesdale, off the B6277
Head for Cotherstone on the B6277. If using a SatNav, enter the postcode DL12 9UL, but still read the instructions below – the final instructions are not always completely accurate.
Heading North through Cotherstone (away from Barnard Castle), after passing the Fox and Hounds pub on your left, you will be signed left to ‘East Briscoe’. The sign is repeated at the junction, turn left here and continue for 2 miles along the country road. Immediately after a hump back bridge there is a sign right to the cottages. Turn right and proceed 350 yards along the track to the cottages.
Arrival at the Cottages is from 4pm
You can draw your car up to your cottage to unload. (Please park in the car park) Your cottage will be open with the key available. Owners Chris & Emma are usually available in East Cottage or via our mobile 0794 1017226.
What is provided?
We aim to provide many of the items you would expect to find in a working home at no extra cost. So, in addition to bed linen, towels, heating, and a full range of domestic implements, you will find:
- · Washing-up liquid, condiments, soap, toilet paper, kitchen paper towel, tea towels, cleaning products.
- · The cottages are all equipped to the English Tourism Council Standard.
- · You’ll have such items as a Fridge/Freezer, Colour TV with Freeview, DVD player, CD/Radio/Cassette, microwave, iron, etc.
Smoking at East Briscoe
All our cottages are non-smoking. You can smoke outside the cottages on the patio areas or in the garden.
Cancellation & Insurance
Cancellation insurance is widely available – one company we have had positive experience with is Guest First (www.guestfirst.co.uk, 0845 9080101). Without insurance, deposits are non-refundable. Balance payments will be returned upon cancellation if we are able to re-let the cottage.
Walking and the East Briscoe Estate
Off the estate
East Briscoe is situated in excellent country for those who enjoy walking. If you are confident with maps the Ordnance Survey “Outdoor Leisure 31 – North Pennines” will be your best aid. There are also quite a few guides to local walks published. You can buy maps and guides from booksellers and newsagents in Barnard Castle/Middleton and there are local walks guides in your cottage. There are many safe, easy, and beautiful walks in the area. Please note that the high fells and steep valleys can be dangerous particularly in poor weather. It is wise to take adequate clothing in case of sudden changes in weather, a map & compass and a mobile phone.
On the estate
East Briscoe Farm Cottages are situated in a 14 acre estate which guests are free to walk over and enjoy. It includes the River Balder, How Beck, very steep wooded slopes, a waterfall (where the beck meets the river), rocky outcrops from which rocks may fall, stone walls and fences. The map posted in the cottages shows the principal features of the estate.
This brief description will tell you that there are not only interesting and beautiful things to be seen but also hazards. Please take care as you explore. We recommend that young children should have adult supervision at all times that they walk on the estate. We believe that with reasonable care it is safe to walk the steeper parts of the estate and follow its paths, but there are obvious dangers and those who choose to explore do so at their own risk.
- · There are benches and tables in the garden area, benches immediately outside a cottage are intended for the occupants of that cottage.
- · the large greenhouse may be used to sit in (there is no need to ask permission).
- · plastic chairs and sun loungers may be borrowed from the greenhouse for use on the lawn.
The Wash House
The Wash House is situated beside East Cottage. Guests may use its facilities at no extra charge.
Two washing machines (washing liquid available to buy). Two tumble driers, washing lines and pegs for outdoor dryin. There is an iron and ironing board in your cottage. The Wash House also contains a First Aid box, a Sewing kit, and dvds to borrow.
The following may be bought from the Wash House:
- · Fresh eggs from our own free range hens. You can also order these in advance. These make an ideal present to take home!
- · Soap powder
- · Postcards of local interest
- · Also Pictures in the washroom & cottages, some painted by artists visiting East Briscoe
Mountain bikes are available. There is no charge, however, we do ask you to sign a disclaimer – you should arrange your own insurance if required. Adult and young people’s sizes are available. You can reserve bikes for a particular day. Baldersdale and Teesdale are fairly hilly, but we can recommend routes for all abilities.
Baby sitting & Pub Taxi Service
(Note we cannot guarantee these services will always be available!).
We will supply a baby sitter given 12hrs notice. £3 per hour 6pm to 10pm. £5 per hour 10pm to Midnight. £12 per hour after midnight.. We can arrange a lift to and from East Briscoe and local hostelries. This service operates between 6pm and 11pm. and should be booked in advance. We ask for a contribution to expenses of £3 per journey for this courtesy service.
Pets are welcome at East Briscoe
There is a guidance sheet included for dog owners (further advice is found in your cottage “information file”). Our main requirement for dogs is that they remain on a lead except in the field(s) we set aside for dogs off the lead.
There is a portable barbecue available (book this with Chris or Emma) and a permanent stone-built barbecue outside the greenhouse. Either is available for guests’ use. Please provide your own charcoal, though there may be some available for sale. In the warmer times of the year we often arrange a barbecue on Tuesday evenings to which guests can bring their own food to cook.
Toys & Games & Books
- · You will find some games and jigsaws in your cottage. Others are available on request.
- · A selection of toys will be supplied to cottages when children are guests.
- · Lawn games are available in the summer and sledges when it snows. Some lawn games are kept in the understair store outside West Cottage where there is also a list of other games available on request.
- · All the cottages have a selection of books for guests’ use, including cookery books and leaflet descriptions of local walks.
A Selection of Attractions in the Area.
The distances given are distances from East Briscoe.
- · Teesdale Railway Walk with two fine viaducts over the Balder and Lune rivers(1 mile)
- · Teesdale Way (follows both banks of the River Tees) (2miles)
- · The Pennine Way (2 miles)
Ÿ The Castle at Barnard Castle (6 miles)
Ÿ Bowes Museum (6 miles)
Ÿ At Bowes (6 miles) Dicken’s Dotheboys Hall and Bowes Castle
- · Egglestone Abbey (7 miles)
- · Rokeby Park where Sir Walter Scott wrote and Cotman painted (8 miles)
- · Raby Castle (12 miles)
- · The Roman Dere Street Trail (16 Miles) with Piercebridge, Binchester, Lanchester & Ebchester
- · Hannah’s Meadow – Durham Wildlife Trust’s ‘traditional hay meadow’ near the former home of TV personality Hannah Hauxwell (3 miles)
- · Eggleston Hall Gardens (4 miles)
- · Hamsterley Forest (7 miles)
- · High Force and Low Force waterfalls (10 miles)
- · Witton-le Wear Nature Reserve (15 miles)
- · Cow Green Reservoir with its internationally famous flora & Cauldron Snout water fall (17 miles)
WORLD HERITAGE SITES
- · Durham Cathedral (45 miles)
- · Hadrian’s Wall (50 miles)
- · Dales (15 miles)
- · Lakes (40 miles)
- · North Yorkshire Moors (40miles)
- · Northumberland (60 miles)
Barnard Castle (6 miles), Darlington (22), Richmond (25), Northallerton (35), Leyburn (35), Bedale (35), Hawes (40), Bishop Auckland (22)
Any of the market towns + Teesside (38miles), Metro Centre (50), Newcastle (53), Harrogate (55)
Theatres at Darlington and Richmond
Cinema at Barnard Castle and Mickleton (village halls), Darlington and Richmond
Sports Centre at Barnard Castle
Free Wi-fi is now available in the cottages. No password is required.